Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Not Green Eggs and Ham; Do What You Love To Do!



I LOVE Melissa's blog at The Inspired Room. Recently, she wrote a beautiful, encouraging blog about daring to dream again, called Daring To Rediscover What You Love. http://theinspiredroom.net/2009/06/15/daring-to-rediscover-what-you-love/.

Charlotte and Daniel in the tv series, Lost

Just as in the tv series Lost, when the blinding flash of light makes everyone cover their ears and eyes when time speeds backward or forward, as I read Melissa's blog, my mind swiftly took me back to childhood, doing what I loved: writing in my room.

Child writing

A writer's room

As a child pouring her heart into her journal, I really didn't have dreams of fame or wealth from writing. I simply loved to write. And there was great joy in it. No silly pressure to have more comments or readers, to get articles published by big magazines and books by well-known publishing houses in order to be a real writer, or to convince Technorati to allow me to claim my blog, and them not reject it continually as spam (I'm STILL trying to figure that one out!).

Here is a random thought with a twist on Dr. Seuss' book, Green Eggs and Ham:

I do not like blogs that are spam,
I won't subscribe to them, whether they're on kids or home-made jam,
I will not read them anywhere!
No, I will not make comments on them, or link-share.
I do not like blogs that are spam.

Not in a box.
Not with a fox.
Not in a house.
Not with a mouse.
I would not read them here or there.
I would not read them anywhere.
I would not read blogs that are spam.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.
I do not like blogs that are spam.

There is always hope that Technorati will change its mind about my blog, just as the unnamed character in Dr. Seuss' book changed his mind about green eggs and ham, and REALLY LIKED THEM! But even if Technorati does not ever let me claim my blog, I will keep writing! :)


Sudden, whiney, hungry thought: But I really don't want my blog to be green eggs and ham! I want my blog to be delicious CHOCOLATE!

(Unwrapping chocolate bar with almonds, that I hid in my purse earlier this evening, away from the family's reach.)

Anyway, Melissa encourages us in her sixth point, "Live life on purpose — dare to incorporate the things you love into your life."

Ask yourself, what do I love? What do I really enjoy doing? Then do it!

Write because you simply love to write.
Write what's in your heart.
Write because it's fun.
Forget what they said. It doesn't matter! YOU just write! Who are you are trying to impress, anyway?

(You're probably thinking, like I am: "Well, to tell you the truth, I want to impress people that will pay me LOTS of money for my writing!")

Ok, ok. We all would like to be ridiculously rich and successful. Success will come in time, with hard work and unwavering dedication. Just listen now to a tip from from Natalie Goldberg, author of Wild Mind: Living the Writer’s Life:

“We have to accept ourselves in order to write. Now none of us does that fully: few of us do it even halfway. Don’t wait for one hundred percent acceptance of yourself before you write, or even eight percent acceptance. Just write. The process of writing is an activity that teaches us about acceptance,” said Goldberg.

As Melissa blogged at The Inspired Room, deliberately choose to live the life you wanted as a child. You weren't trying to figure it all out back then. You wrote for pleasure. You just dreamed, and believed, and loved to write. And if God be for you, who can be against you?

"Close the door. Write with no one looking over your shoulder. Don't try to figure out what other people want to hear from you; figure out what you have to say. It's the one and only thing you have to offer." ~ Barbara Kingsolver

No comments:

Post a Comment